As stated in the Zoning Code, the goals and purposes of the City’s discretionary Individual Review intended to mitigate the effects of second story construction on neighboring home and to:
- Promote new construction that is compatible with existing residential neighborhoods (Eichler neighborhood)
- Encourage respect for the surrounding context in which residential construction and alteration takes place
- Foster consideration of neighbors’ concerns with respect to privacy, scale and massing, and streetscape
- Enable the emergence of new neighborhood design patterns that reflect awareness of each property’s effect upon neighboring properties
Some thoughts on this –
- I think the applicant and their architect can make a big difference by starting a conversation with neighbors and their design and plans well before plans are submitted to the city.
- The preliminary IR review must delineate the fine line of becoming a design review and then, become massive and expensive changes for the applicant.
- Lack of follow through from the City inspections to ensure compliance by applicant of what was negotiated and agreed upon by the neighbor affected and applicant.
Back to top